19 March 2010

2010 Winter Olympics ~ Wrap-Up

Ok, it's a little sad that it's taken more than a month to write. I did get caught up a little in Olympic fever more so than I ever have in the past. In previous Olympics (usually only the winter ones), I'll watch some of the hockey and that's about it. It sure made a difference having it here. I guess there is something about being able to recognize the places where the events are taking place (even if I can't actually afford to go to any of the events). I was able to go downtown and watch some of the games with other people which made it so much more exciting!!! 

I also know it's shouldn't be all about the medal count, but it's hard not to use that as a measuring stick when it's on the main page of the website and it's what most people are talking about. In reality, the Olympics are all about competition among other things. To see who is the best (at that particular moment or fraction of a second) and to have bragging rights both as an individual and a nation. For once, even though we didn't "own the podium" as was the motto of this Olympic Winter Games for Canada, we did set a couple of Olympic records - highest medal count for a host country and most Gold Medals won in the Winter Olympics. It's pretty phenomenal that we are now a part of history and that countries from around the world will try to break records that we Canadians set.

The best part of these Olympics was being able to share it with other Canadians and people from around the world. When else is this going to happen in my lifetime where I live? Probably never again, so these are memories to cherish forever and that's pretty cool.

This weekend will mark the end of the Paralympic Games portion of the 2010 Winter Olympics and put this all in the history books. I hope people can look back on this time as a bright spot in our history and hopefully we won't have to pay for this for the next 50 years.

No comments: