21 March 2010

Music & Dance ~ Serena Ryder

As part of the Olympics and Paralympic Games concert series, I was able to see Serena Ryder live last night at Live City near GM Place. Here are some YouTube links of her best songs.

(I wanted to embed a YouTube video, but it's disallowed)

I was really impressed with how well she performed live. In this age of manufactured pop artists that look good, but can't sing in tune to save their lives (unless they are lip-syncing), it was truly refreshing to hear someone who could sing in tune. Not only did she hit all the right notes, she had personality, wit, energy and performed with unique phrasing, subtle quietness and was able to belt it out when the song needed it. She sang a great version of the 70s song that I can't think of right now (I'll ask my friend Michelle who was singing away with me).

Too many artists (especially female ones) over sing and over run songs with endless melisma which gets awfully tiresome - sometimes you just wanna yell "Just sing the song, don't wring it's neck and kill it!"My friends and I were all awed by her abilities. I have her first CD and after last night, I think I'll pick up her latest one too, it's worth it. Plus it helps that she's Canadian (even if she is from Ontario - I won't hold it against her) so I gotta support a good Canadian chick!

No comments: